Welcome to the bible for how to clean sex toys
Clean sex toys. We’ve convinced you. You’ve heard our calls to ignore the stigma surrounding sex toys, and you’ve delved into new world of sexual pleasure and ramped your sex life up. We trust that you have not been disappointed thus far.
Sure, after a hot, steamy session of pleasure, the last thing on your mind is getting up and scrubbing your toys. But unfortunately this could be a life or death matter. Literally. We’ve put everything you need to know in one place, here. So you can read our bible and continue to enjoy your orgasms, knowing that you’re doing so without infection risks! Clean sex toys!
Why should I clean my toys?
It may seem a pretty obvious question with an obvious answer, but a surprisingly high number of people claim that they do not wash their toys after they’ve finished with them. Yikes!
Sex toys, pure pleasure and goodness. However… they are a breeding hotspot for bad bacteria – something your body will not appreciate. The human body is full of bacteria, good and bad, It works tirelessly to keep these bacteria in balance to stay safe and healthy… the last thing that is needed is an influx of badness.
After use, the toys then have a “biofilm” – this is a layer of bacteria from body fluids. These evil pathogens are constantly reproducing, and if put back in the body can cause some serious issues!
Urinary Tract Infections, Fungal and Yeast infections, bacterial vaginosis, the list of problems from reusing a toy without cleaning is endless. Most of these need strong antibiotics or other medication to get rid of them – and if left untreated can even worsen. They can develop into problems such as sepsis and kidney infections. A big price to pay for a moment of laziness.
Especially after anal use, you should always wash your toys.The anus is home to dangerous bacteria such as E-Coli, which can be potentially life threatening if transferred to other areas of the body such as the vagina / mouth.
How should I clean my toys?
Fundamentally, as Women’s Health promotes, it is necessary to know what material your toy is made from. This will help you to know which products to use and which ones to avoid!
You can spot what material our products are in the product description on the website. Alternatively you can even chat to our friendly customer-service team by email to ask us. In fact, the majority of our products come with some helpful cleaning instructions to save you researching!
A porous or nonporous material will be the material of the toy. If it is porous, much like our skin, it has hundreds of tiny holes that can store and breed bacteria or other potentially harmful organisms. Examples of porous materials include silicone, latex, etc. Non-porous materials on the other hand (such as stainless steel or glass products), don’t have these small holes. You should still clean them regularly even though they don’t harbour the germs in the same way
- Elastomer or latex? – These porous materials are more sensitive to temperature than nonporous toys, meaning opt for cool water so that they don’t warp from being exposed to too much heat. If your toy vibrates, wipe it down with a damp, soapy cloth to avoid damaging any motors. If it doesn’t vibrate (or vibrates but is waterproof), run the toy under warm water and wipe it hard with a damp, soapy washcloth.
- Elastomer toy specifically made of a skin-like blend? – Do the same thing you’d do for the toys listed above, however try to avoid a lot of soap, as this could damage the material and ruin the skin-like texture.
- ABS plastic? – Just like an elastomer or latex toy, you can wipe it down with a damp cloth and mild soap if it vibrates, or wash it with water and mild soap if it doesn’t.
- Soda-lime glass? – This kind of glass can be sensitive to temperature (which is part of why it can be so much fun during sexual play). Wash a soda-lime glass toy the same way you’d wash a latex or elastomer toy.
- Borosilicate glass, silicone, or a metal? – You can clean these toys using mild soap and warm water, or a damp, soapy washcloth, much like the toys above. This also includes all silicone toys, toys made from silicone pyrex and jelly rubber style.
- Plush toys? – With plush toys, they are harder to wash for obvious reasons. We would recommend spraying with sex toy cleaner spray, and leaving to air dry.
Don’t submerge your motorised toys in water!
This is pretty obvious, but you need to make sure that you never fully submerge your motorised toys in water. This can easily damage the motor inside and end your toys life!
You can find out even more helpful information on cleaning different materials at Self.com.
Drying your toys is essential. Dry them with a towel or cloth, and make sure they are not damp when putting them away. If they are not dried properly, they risk chances of rotting or splitting. This can be harmful to you and your body, as the materials may be made from certain chemicals. When released into your body may cause issues.
What should I use to clean toys?
Again this would depend on what your toy is made from, but if you can’t get your hands on any specialist products, then we suggest using hot water and fragrance-free soap. Be careful not too overwork the soap as with a lot of modern sex toys, the material can be quite sensitive and be prone to damage if worked too hard.
We would strongly advise to NOT use boiling water. This could damage the toy and also cause injury to yourself. Most of the time, soap and water does the job just fine. As we’ve mentioned, you just have to ensure that you’re wiping hard and getting into all the grooves.
We offer a great selection of sex toy cleaning sprays and other sex toy cleaners. If you require something a little more specialised that you can trust will do the job properly. And don’t worry, they are not overly expensive, so you can shop til your heart’s content!
Where should I keep them?
We don’t expect everyone to have a sex toy container, or a chest in some cases, but you should really have somewhere clean and dry to store your toys. You don’t want to keep them with any of your other products. Just in case you forgot to clean it or any of your other belongings for that matter.
Places such as bedside drawers should be avoided, as they usually have big build ups of bacteria that could contaminate your toys.
We would suggest that you keep them in an airtight container or box, that is clean! You could even keep the original packaging and store them in there, or a cotton bag. Maybe a glass trophy cabinet, and show the world your sex toy collection with pride!
A clean sex toy is a happy sex toy!
All of these tips are small changes in your daily routine that can have a genuinely positive effect on your sexual health, so don’t cut any corners!
It’s best to prevent any chance of hurting or damaging your body’s health.
Remember that not all of this information is created purely for our female buyers, it’s important that men’s sex toys are treated in the exact same clinically clean way at all costs.